Tuesday, July 31, 2012

OBIEE Installation Tips



There are lot many sites which has detail step by step procedure on OBIEE 11.1.1.6 installation. I thought of having this blog to probably answer few questions which would be there in minds of new OBIEE 11G users.
Questions related to:
a) Installing OBIEE 11.1.1.6 on Windows 7, 64-bit OS
b) Loopback Adapter issue with respect to OBIEE installation
c) Removing OBIEE 11g and re-installing, necessary things that need to be taken care
d) Basic steps of changing RPD and Password with the new installation

Installing OBIEE 11.1.1.6 on Windows 7, 64-bit OS
OBIEE 11.1.1.6 can be installed in Windows 7 64-bit machine. The process you need to  follow are:
a) Install Oracle 11G Database: I would recommend installing 11G server database instead of going for Oracle 11G XE or Oracle 10G XE Univ.
b) Install RCU: You can download RCU setup but you would get the one for 32-bit machine but you can use this for 64-bit machine as well. Install this and the metadata's should be pointed to the Oracle DB 11G server
c) Install Weblogic server: Install Weblogic Server for 64 bit machine
d) Install OBIEE: Installation type selected should be Proffesional 
e) Configure OBIEE: Run config.batch for configuring OBIEE after installation


Once you follow above steps, your OBIEE installation should be successful.


Loopback Adapter
There has been quite confusion around whether to install Loopback adapter or not. I had similar experience when I installed OBIEE. I would say, we do not require this even if our IP is changing. I would probably explain my scenario: I have to connect to VPN to access my client database and connecting VPN changes my IP. Each time i disconnect from VPN, it results in new IP.
With the above scenario, I have installed OBIEE 11.1.1.6 without installing loopback adapter or changing my hosts file. I am able to connect to client db through VPN.


Removing OBIEE 11G and Re-installing 
In most scenario, if OBIEE installation works in the first attempt you are really fortunate. Most of the times you end up in having issues during installation and have the scenario to re-install it. You would be stuck with a challenge to understand the series of things that need to be cleared off before doing a re-installation, like:
a) Removing services associated with DB [in case you are planning to re-install db]
b) Removing registry entry
c) Updating Environment Variables
d) Clearing off OBIEE Domain [if already configured in your first installation]


Hope this helps someone some where. I have personally done multiple installations on my laptop to finally get this corrected. I thought of sharing this information in my blog, if you could save sometime unlike me.

2 comments:

  1. "I thought of sharing this information in my blog, if you could save sometime unlike me"

    Thank You. And what is that information ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awsome piece of information, I had come to know about your website from my friend vinod, indore,i have read atleast seven posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, obiee training in hyderebad

    ReplyDelete